The Doctor of Philosophy in Theology is an advance postgraduate research degree that is offered at the University of the West Indies through the department of theology, located at the United theological College of the West Indies.
- Persons interesting in entering the Ph.D. Programme in Theology must first apply to the M.PhIL. Theology Programme.
- Persons who satisfy the M.PhIL. requirement and are given a provisional acceptance must:
- Pass a modern language (Spanish, French, or German) examination administered by UTCWI.
- Additionally, if the candidate area of research is Bible, the candidate must pass a Greek or Hebrew examination.
- Present a formal proposal for the Thesis
N.B. Candidates are required to self prepare for the above exams.
Reading material maybe available to assist the students.
- Successful candidates are required to register with UWI each year, throughout the course of the programme.
- Students must sign a declaration permitting access in UWI and UTCWI libraries to the Thesis
Full Time — students should complete the Ph.D. programme (courses and Thesis) within five years from the date of registration.
Part Time — students should complete the MPhil programme (courses and (Thesis) within seven years from the date of registration.
N.B. Students who work 12 hours or more in a typical week is required to apply as a part time student.
Full time students must complete these courses within 1 or 2 semesters of the same year. Part time students must complete these courses within 2 or 3 semesters.
- Ph.D. students are required to complete three courses. Two of which must be related to the area of research and the other, THEO 6500: Research Methods in Theology.
- Students are required to attend research seminars and workshops. Students must attend at least 50% of the seminars.
- Students must maintain a grade of 50% and above in both course work and examinations.
How to Apply
Application for admission to the programme is done online through the UWI website.
- Complete and submit your online application form at http://sas.mona.uwi.edu:9010/pls/data_mona/uwm_adm.p_index
- Non– UWI graduates are required to submit a certified copy of their Birth certificate and Transcript from tertiary institution.
Submit two letters of reference (on forms provided by UWI)
N.B. You are required to state a tentative topic for the Thesis on your application.
Deadline for application is January for admission in September and April for admission in January.
Scholarships for graduate studies are available.
- Application and referee forms are available on the UWI website: www.uwimona.edu.jm/postgrad:
- Visit the website and select ‘ Forms and Documents’