The Masters of Philosophy in Theology is an advance postgraduate research degree that is offered at the University of the West Indies through the department of theology, located at the United theological College of the West Indies.
- An accredited first degree from a recognized University
- Some person will be required to do qualifying courses before they are enrolled in the MPhil programme.
- Students pursuing a Masters of Arts in Theology can apply to upgrade to a Masters of Philosophy in Theology.
Full Time — students should complete the MPhil programme (courses and Thesis) within three years from the date of registration.
Part Time — students should complete the MPhil programme (courses and graduate course offered in the school of Thesis) within five years from the date of registration.
N.B. Students who work 12 hours or more in a typical week is required to apply as a part time student.
- M.Phil. students are required to complete three courses. At least two of the three courses should be related to the area of research. One of the three courses may be done in the other UWI departments with approval.
- Students specializing in Bible is required to have completed two semesters of Hebrew (for Old Testament) or Greek (for New Testament). If this requirement is not met prior to enrolment in the programme, the student will be required to complete the courses concurrently with their MPhil coursework.
- Students are required to attend research degree seminars. Students must attend at least 50% of the seminars to qualify for designated credits.
- All M.Phil. Students is to register for at least one Research Methods education
How to Apply
Application for admission to the programme is done online through the UWI website.
- Complete and submit your online application form at http://sas.mona.uwi.edu:9010/pls/data_mona/uwm_adm.p_index
- Non– UWI graduates are required to submit a certified copy of their Birth certificate and Transcript from tertiary institution.
- Submit two letters of reference (on forms provided by UWI)
N.B. You are required to state a tentative topic for the Thesis on your application.
Deadline for application is January for admission in September and April for admission in January.
Scholarships for graduate studies are available.
- Application and referee forms are available on the UWI website: www.uwimona.edu.jm/postgrad
- Visit the website and select ‘ Forms and Documents’